Our objective is to explain the range of business risks that mom-and-pop business format franchise investors face before, during, and after being a franchisee.
WikidFranchise.org — what is left after you wiki a franchise case study (ie. the document was run through a wiki; the story was wiki-ed => wikidfranchise)
Risks Now versus Risks when The Model Changes
Pre-sale due diligence is good but it is not enough protection. Due diligence takes a photograph of an ever-changing business risk environment.
Mom-and-pop franchisees are always at a severe disadvantage regarding information and economic power if and when the franchisor decides to unilaterally exercise their discretion in a one-sided way.
Editor's Choice of Article: NLRB Charges McDonald’s as Joint Employer with Franchisees, Janet Sparks
As I started collecting documents in 1998, patterns started to emerge.
Ways to Use WikidFranchise:
- new: find out what are the most popular documents retrieved at Wikid Fame,
- take a look at our Business Risk page & click through to see their case studies.
- scan the Editor Picks page for noteworthy documents and quick comments.
- search by typing in the name of a: franchisor executive, attorney, franchisee, lender, country, or journalist,
- type in a trademark name such as "Quiznos",
- click on the system's name in our unique trademark tag cloud,
- read the most important academic franchise work: Problematic Relations: Franchising and the Law of Incomplete Contracts (introduction la version française),
- read Beguiling Heresy: Regulating the Franchise Relationship by Paul Steinberg & Gerald Lescatre, 2004,
- to understand the role of the franchise bar read The Price of Law: How the Market for Lawyers Distorts the Justice System by Gillian K. Hadfield,
- read Franchising Opportunism and the accompanying legal test claim, and
- keep current with our companion weblog FranchiseFool or the NEW FranchiseBanker.ca.